Photo by Patrick McDermott/NHLI via Getty Images
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Ovechkin picks up a hat trick as the Caps down the Devils, assigning trade value to each member of the team and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- With the trade deadline mere weeks away, the JRR crew talks about the potential trade value of the current Caps’ lineup. [Rink]
- Recaps and other assorted musings on last night’s win from us, Vogs, Caps video (Reirden, locker room, recap), Devils, NHL, AP, WaPo, NBCSW (and again), WashTimes, NJ.com, Peerless, NoVa Caps, RMNB, Caps Outsider, and All About the Jersey.
- This. Pass.
— Washington Capitals (@Capitals) January 17, 2020
- ‘Twas a night for making history, something #8 is quite used to and Ilya Samsonov is quickly warming to. [NHL, RMNB, NoVa Caps]
- It’s official (and not all that surprising): Ovechkin will suit up for tomorrow’s matinee against the Islanders, serving his one-game suspension in the Caps’ return against the Habs. [WaPo]
- In the history of great DC sports duos, Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom are among the greatest. [WaPo]
- Backstrom talks about his new deal, why he chose to negotiate on his own behalf, and what the future holds. [NoVa Caps]
- How does John Carlson stack up against the other potential Norris Trophy candidates? [StarsandSticks]
- While having two good goalies isn’t a bad problem to have, eventually one of the Caps’ goaltenders must take over the net for good. [WCP]
- How can the Caps improve on defense? [NBCSW]
- Former Cap Jason Chimera talks about, among other things his time in DC and where Ovechkin ranks among all-time goal-scorers. [Flamesnation]
- Handing out some midseason grades. [THW]
- Finally, happy 28th birthday to Stanislav Galiev.