Photo by Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images
Daily Washington Capitals news and notes: Wrapping up a decade of Caps hockey, some stray crumbs from the loss in Boston and more.
Your savory breakfast links:
- As the World Junior Championship gets underway, the Caps will have a couple of representatives in Connor McMichael (Canada) and Martin Has (Czech Republic). [NHL]
- Ranking the top five left wingers in the NHL from this decade… guess who’s #1?? [Sportsnet]
- Coincidentally, that guy atop the list of best wingers also authored one of the decade’s best goals (and let’s be honest, many more awesome ones not shown). [NHL video]
- It’s been something of an up-and-down decade for DC sports… but the Caps, Nats and Mystics made sure it ended on a high. [WaPo, WashTimes]
- Alex Ovechkin has been the best goal-scorer, and a Richard Trophy winner many times over, in this decade – but he hasn’t done so without his fair share of competition. [NoVa Caps]
- Taking a stab at the Caps’ All-Decade team. [NBCSW]
- Did the Caps hang on to their top spot in the Super 16 ranking? Find out! [NHL]
- The Caps headed into the holiday break with one “minor” issue. [WaPo]
- A few leftovers from Monday’s loss in Boston. [Stanley Cup of Chowder, StarsandSticks, RMNB]
- A lot of focus this season has been on Ilya Samsonov’s stellar NHL start, but Vitek Vanecek has quietly taken over the net in Hershey. [NoVa Caps]
- Finally, happy 32nd birthday to Oskar Osala, and happy 30th to Tomas Kundratek.