Earlier this week, Bishop Sycamore’s football program made headlines – for all the wrong reasons – following a game against IMG Academy.
Bishop Sycamore “duped” ESPN by claiming it was one of the top high school football teams in the nation. The Ohio-based program reportedly said it had four and five-star recruits.
And yet, it’s not even a school – at least in the eyes of the Ohio High School Athletic Association. Following the controversy, Ohio governor Mike DeWine issued a strong statement.
“Like many Ohioans, I am concerned by the recent reports and questions raised about Bishop Sycamore,” DeWine said in a statement. “While this weekend’s football game brought concerns about the health and safety of players, it also raised red flags about the school’s operations.”
Like many Ohioans, I am concerned by the recent reports and questions raised about Bishop Sycamore. While this weekend’s football game brought concerns about the health and safety of players, it also raised red flags about the school’s operations.
— Governor Mike DeWine (@GovMikeDeWine) August 31, 2021
“Schools like Bishop Sycamore have an obligation under Ohio law to meet certain minimum standards,” the statement continued. “Whether Bishop Sycamore meets these standards is not clear. I have asked @OHEducation to conduct an investigation into Bishop Sycamore to ensure compliance with Ohio law and to ensure the school is providing the educational opportunities Ohio students deserve.”
The investigation is just the beginning of the bad news for the Bishop Sycamore program. Earlier today, the team reportedly fired its head coach after allowing the team to play two games in three days.
The post Ohio Governor Releases Statement On Bishop Sycamore Fiasco appeared first on The Spun.